Monday, May 12, 2014

Join the Chorus with Adele Jones

Please welcome my friend Adele Jones as she share her thoughts on friendship with us today... 

Join the Chorus
The Helen Earley Ensemble © 2013 photo credit Helen Earley
I love the power of a choir; the depth of expression and stirring parts. Choirs are safe places where abilities can be explored and excellence grown organically in the fertile soil created by other contributors to the composite voice. With a skilled choir backing them, a soloist can be catapulted from great to exquisite!

In life, each of us have our own choir – and hopefully more than a duet! These are the people who beautify the melodies of our life; friends and family—those who enhance our capacity, urge us to greater things and turn even the thinnest voice into a delicate melody others long to hear.

I love my choir. Life without them would simply be an ear jarring attempt at an ill–practised oratorio. I’ve also known times when individual choir members have sung poignant, God–timed recitatives in the gaps where my aria has sagged to tear dampened breathiness.

It’s as equally wonderful to be in the choir of someone else’s successes – and heartaches, failures, disappointments. A thrilling chorus of triumph is much sweeter when shared. When calamity strikes, the gentle refrain of a choir can sustain and heal, ushering a moon–like luminance over our shadowed journey. With the crescendo of dawn, radiant melodies can rouse anticipation, reminding us that after every night there is a new day.

The choir is not the soloist; but what a privilege it is to sing. Pity those who live without it – but therein lies an opportunity to start a new choir and gather members. Sometimes people just aren’t quite sure how to enlist their own vocals section and need a little help. And just remember, when you’re in someone’s choir and you’re called upon to do a solo, those you’ve been backing will be found creating the moving harmonies you need to turn great into exquisite.



Adele Jones lives in Queensland, Australia. She’s had a variety of short works published and has two novels scheduled for release in 2014—a YA SciFi and a historical fiction. 
Her writing is inspired by a passion for family, faith, friends, music and science – and a broad ranging imagination. To find out more visit www.adelejonesauthor.com




Adele, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts here today. This is such an encouraging reminder to cheer one another on. Congratulations on your upcoming releases - Can't wait to get my hands on them!

Become one of Michelle's VIP readers to receive your free book today! 
This post is part of the Friendship series ... We're celebrating the upcoming release of the Spiralling books in paperback. (date to be announced soon - VIP readers find out first) 

10 comments:

  1. I loved singing in choir when I was in school. As an adult, I sang with Sweet Adelines for a little over a year. The time commitment became too much and I quit. I just started singing in my church choir and enjoy it. Singing is joyful to me. I really can't imagine a world without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A world without singing would definitely be a sad place to be, Robin. Words sung to a melody seem to have a way of reaching right to the heart. Choirs are such a great environment to explore those emotional dynamics through vocal creativity. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Michelle and Adele,
    I love that analogy of friendship. We can all be part of this type of choir, regardless of our musical ability. I enjoyed my visit to your website too, Adele, which I'll now put on my list of blogs to visit.
    Blessings,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Paula. Appreciate your comment and also taking the time to visit my website. Yes, definitely no musical prerequisites for joining this choir! But definitely plenty of singing from the heart. :)

      Delete
  3. That was a beautiful post Adele. Great analogy. Always nice to know too that when someone in the choir sings a wrong note, the stronger voices can cover it and still get that melody soaring. And with that support, our off-key notes becomes fewer, (Wow, that's deep). Happy singing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Very profound - but so true. I think that's one of my favourite things about choir singing. Even if you're not the world's greatest singer, it still sounds amazing when everyone pulls together and shares their song. Great insight, thanks Nola.

      Delete
  4. I remember auditioning for the school choir when I was in grade 5. The music teacher gave everyone the same task: Sing 'Mary had a little lamb' twice through to her piano accompaniment. The first time, her accompaniment supported the melody. The second time, she played a completely different tune. I watched as my friends were told, one-by-one, 'Well done. You'll join the sopranos.' When my turn came, she said, 'Ah ha. At last. We have an alto.' Her choice was made not of the basis of whether we could sing high or low. Apparently, I was one of the few who could sing the right tune for Mary Had a Little Lamb second time around, when she was playing anything but. I loved being in the choir, though always felt just a little bit sad that I was learning the alto parts to every song. When my family wanted to hear, all I could manage was the part that often sounded like a dirge. Then came the night of the big event - Brisbane City Hall filled with people to hear the combined school choirs of Brisbane. Wow! It was the most wonderful thing I had ever done. My parents were thrilled, because the whole event was fresh and new for them - my practicing of 'alto dirges' had kept the thrill of the melodies 'secret' until the big day. Later in life, when I started writing songs and song lyrics, I could hear those multiple layers at work in my head, giving the whole a full-bodied resonance. Thank you for reminding me, Adele! For me, choir was about 'sticking to my voice' regardless of what else was happening, and coming to realize that each unique voice, including my own, has value and adds to the wonderful sum of the whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Cathie. How easily we can forget the importance of sticking to our own voice, even when it doesn't seem as exciting as what others are singing. That is, until it all comes together and the beautiful harmonies send shivers of delight down your spine as the voices combine. Those are the moments I shut my eyes and let the music wash through me as if transported out of time. Exquisite!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful Adele, thank you. All joining together, different tones and harmonies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, isn't it? :) Life would be horribly dull if we didn't get to share our voices. Thanks for sharing yours, Rachel.

      Delete

I love comments....