Monday, May 19, 2014

Come walk beside me ... with Anusha Atukorala

Please welcome Anusha Atukorala today as she shares her thoughts on friendship with us...

Come, walk beside me…

The word ‘Friendship’ rings in my ears like the song of a nightingale, clear, sweet, melodious. It brings a sequence of beautiful pictures to my mind. A group of schoolgirls chattering, giggling, squealing, having fun together; a teenager talking to her best friend into the wee hours of the morning; two women praying over the phone, connected heart to heart, even if 3000 miles apart; myself, typing my daily email to my beloved Mum, (my special Friend) with a glad song in my heart; enjoying a cuppa with a brand new friend and loving it; listening to, learning from and doing life with a special someone in my life. The list goes on and on.

Friendship. What does it mean? What does it bring to our lives into our lives? Is it needed? In my own life, friendship has to be one of the most precious blessings I've enjoyed. Life would not be life without it. It has brought me joy in deepest measure time and time again; with God – my closest friend; with my husband of 28 years – who’s my best friend; with many other amazing wonderful, remarkable friends over the years; a delicious creamy icing on the cake of life completing it as nothing else could ever do.

Tweet: Friendship: come walk beside me with Anusha Atukorala http://michelledevans.blogspot.com.au/ @MichelleDEvans
What then are the qualities then of a true friend? Understanding and empathy should be high on a friend’s list, don’t you think?. Making time for each other is vital. But being apart doesn’t matter either because of course the heart to heart connection between true friends never dims. True friends are always there for each other. They don’t judge. They listen instead – they listen well with their hearts, to both spoken and unspoken words. A true friend sings the song back to her friend when she has forgotten the words. She holds her hand when it is needed. She believes in her friend and helps her believe in herself.

A friend stays silent when words are not needed. Sheds tears with her when her friend grieves. Rejoices when she has cause to celebrate. Accepts her friend just the way she is, warts and all. God created friendship when he created Adam and Eve. He brought meaning into their lives not just through their walk with Him but also through their walk with each other. And so we can agree with Albert Camus today. Having someone beside you who loves you unconditionally through the joys and sorrows of one’s journey is one of the sweetest, brightest and deepest joys in life. Friendship is a gift beyond compare.


 "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." —Albert Camus

Anusha Atukorala is a Writer and Speaker who’s passionate about life, Jesus, family, friendship, the beauty of Creation, Writing and Encouraging others. Her first book 'Enjoying the Journey' was published in 2010 and contains 75 stories of lessons from day to day life. She has contributed to 10 'Australian stories' books over the last 7 years since she began her writing journey. Her website and blog, Dancing in the Rain can be viewed at:


Thank you for your thoughts on friendship Anusha, I love that quote by Albert Camus. For those reading, do you have a favourite quote on friendship?


~~~

Become one of Michelle's VIP readers to receive your free book today! 
This post is part of the Friendship series ... We're celebrating the upcoming release of the Spiralling books in paperback. (date to be announced soon - VIP readers find out first) 

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful description of friendship, Anusha. Love the quote you've included. 'Just walk beside me and be my friend.' As you say, those precious relationships make distance negligible and understanding like an unspoken language. Such valuable reflections, thank you - and thanks to you, Michelle, for hosting such a lovely series. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....