Monday, April 28, 2014

True Friends are Like Diamonds ~ meet Jo Wanmer

Today my friend Jo Wanmer is sharing her thoughts on Friendship with us. 

True Friends are Like Diamonds

Talking is my favourite hobby. I find sharing hearts with like minded people is always interesting and revelatory. Hence I have many friends. However, my Grandmother’s words, as penned in my autograph book fifty years ago, have proved to be true.
“True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
 False friends are like autumn leaves, found everywhere.”
When our family’s life started to get rough, friends were everywhere, for a time. When our problems didn’t disappear in a few short months, friends became weary. Our difficulties turned to disasters. The pain broke my heart. I was no longer the joking, happy conversationalist. Friends avoided me in the supermarket, didn’t know what to say at church and stopped phoning. Like autumn leaves, they blew away and disappeared.
A couple of precious diamonds remained. Timely phone calls, visits and words of encouragement were like water to my parched soul.
However, the greatest act of friendship I have experienced occurred after a difficult hospital visit. I was broken. That afternoon, my heart had shattered into a million pieces at my feet.  Somehow I had capped my emotions until I’d seen my girl in hospital, as we did every night. On the way home, the damn exploded.
When we drove in, Dawn was sitting at the door step waiting. She hugged us, served her home cooked soup and listened as uncensored pain poured from my mouth. Sending us both to bed, she cleaned the kitchen and then came and tucked us in. Praying for us, she kissed us good night, turned out the light and let herself out. The next morning, I woke feeling as though Jesus visited me.
How does one respond to such love? I endeavour to pass the love on to as many people as possible.
 In the book which tells of our struggle and eventual victory, ‘Though the Bud be Bruised’, Dawn is called Sunni. Every time she touched my life, sunshine remained after she had gone. After all, diamonds reflect the Son.


My PhotoJo & Steve Wanmer live amongst books, pictures and papers in a comfy home between Brisbane and the Sunshine coast. Dawn lives on the Coast and has a bedroom ready for them at a moment’s notice. It was at her home Jo started to write ‘Though the Bud be Bruised’. More recently she has spent many hours in Dawns spare room working on her current novel, ‘El Shaddai’.  Jo writes inspirational fiction, focusing on life’s bigger problems and a God who is able to heal and restore, but never in the way we expect!


Thanks so much for visiting my blog today Jo! I can't wait to read your next book! 

Make sure you grab a copy of Jo's life changing book, Though the Bud be Bruised, and visit her blog, Conversations 





This post is part of the Friendship series ... We're celebrating the upcoming release of the Spiralling books in paperback. (date to be announced soon) 

2 comments:

  1. Loved it, and loved "Though the bud be bruised" Love Jo Wanmer, she is so very real, and what you see is what you get, no hypocrisy. she is right with what she has stated she has and does pass that love onto everyone, I have seen it, and I have experienced it myself, a true woman of love and grace, its an honor to call her my friend, to me she is the rare diamond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting and adding to the post by leaving a comment . Xx

      Delete

I love comments....