Friday, October 25, 2013

When you write for different ages do you need a pseudonym?

  First let me thank the gorgeous Jo Hart for having me on her blog today to play my very own game of 5 Favourites. Jo was one of my awesome critique partners in the early stages of Spiralling Out of Control. Her help was invaluable. Please pop over and say hi at The Graceful Doe  

And also today Helen from the Book Review Sisters has kindly posted a review of Spiralling Out of Control on their blog.

Now I'm after some BLOG READER HELP...

I have also written several picture books and chapter books. If I was to have them published, do you think I should go under a pseudonym? Would you be concerned about children say 10-12 years old enjoying a chapter book then searching for more of my work and picking up Spiralling Out of Control?  I wouldn't want someone that young reading it. 

On the other hand, I'm too lazy to think of myself as two names - but safety of children is more important than my laziness. 

Would love to hear your thoughts on pseudonyms. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle
    I can see your concern especially because Spiralling out of Control deals with some heavy issues for teenagers. I could see that a 12 year old enjoying your chapter books would probably want to read your older books too. I know that when Jennifer June Rowe (who writes adult crime fiction) took the pen name Emily Rodda when she wrote middle grade books (The Rowan of Rin series, Deltora Quest the Rondo series, and the Door series). On the other hand, J R Rowling didn't for her first adult novel (though did for her crime novel). Hard call, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many people who write for adults and kids under the same name. I think I would keep my name. But it's a personal choice. If it works for you, great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any advice on pseudonyms. If you do decide to go that route you could use your full name in one genre and your initials in the other. That way it wouldn't be a total deviation.

    In other news, I dedicated something to you on my HERE'S TO YOU THURSDAY post. I hope you like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, some authors make minor changes to their name, just to show the book is for a different market, for example you could drop your middle name for picture books, or just use the initial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Lynda has a good idea. It's enough of a signal that a different reading audience is in mind, but it keeps your name fresh with the public. I write for both children and adults, although my adult work has been short stories and poetry, but I'm writing a "cosy mystery" now, under my same name.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....