Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Introducing ... Lorilyn Roberts

~Author Spotlight~

I've just started reading Children of Dreams by Lorilyn Roberts. It's gripping! 
I've invited Lorilyn to be a guest on my blog today and share an excerpt from her memoir.  
Please make her feel welcome and read right to the bottom to find out how you can win a Kindle! 

Excerpt from Children of Dreams ~ 

One afternoon it was raining outside and I was particularly down. I got a chair and scooted under the eve of the house and sat for several minutes watching the rain fall gently on the deck and flowers in the back yard. It was a peaceful rain and the air smelled misty. It had been a long time since I had taken a few moments to relax and have a conversation with God.

I told God how depressed I was, how uncertain I was about the future, and how worried I was about Manisha. I was tired of doctor’s appointments, medicines, fevers, isolation, and homeschooling a cantankerous child on steroids. I wanted Him to end my pain and make it all go away. I knew that wasn’t going to happen, but it made a difference to tell God how I felt.

Little by little God didn’t take away my pain, but He helped me to realize that I had to trust Him for Manisha, I had to trust Him about the second adoption, and I had to trust Him for my finances. I had to be content in my situation. I Timothy 6:6 says, “But godliness with contentment is great gain.” I had forgotten what that was like.

So much of my worry was about me. I didn’t want to be alone again. After being abandoned by my father and husband, I didn’t want God to take my child from me. Could I still love God regardless of the outcome or would I abandon Him, my first love?

After Jesus’ feeding of the five thousand, many disciples turned away from Him because they could not accept the costs associated with being His follower.

“You do not want to leave me, too, do you?” Jesus asked the twelve. Simon Peter answered him. “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the holy one of God” (John 6:67-69).

When my husband left me in 1985, I pleaded desperately for God to save my marriage. “I can’t live without him,” I cried out to Him. “I will do anything You want if You will just bring him back to me.” I lost all respect for myself and the dignity that God bestowed on me because I was created in His image.

To give that much power to someone or something is to make an idol out of it. Whether I consciously realized it or not, I had to choose who or what I loved the most. To choose anything besides God is to be deceived by the “Father of Lies” who promises happiness but delivers death.

I couldn’t bargain with God. I had no rights. “The wages of sin is death…” Romans 6:23 tells us. My lack of trust in God made me feel like death had already ensnared my life because hopelessness and despair became a living hell. My joy was gone. My life was like a gymnast on a balance beam precariously in limbo of falling. If God was the beam, I had to focus my eyes on Him and keep my eyes on the beam the whole time.

A great cloud of witnesses was watching. My life was a testimony, perhaps the only testimony that some would ever see. A few nights later, after a quiet time with God, I released my greatest fear to Him.

“Dear Lord,” I cried, “No matter what you choose to do with Manisha, I will love You and trust You in my pain.”

Nothing extraordinary on the outside changed, but in my heart God had work to do. He had to claim back territory that I had given over to the enemy.

Jesus told John in the Book of Revelations to write to the Church in Philadelphia, “I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.”

To illustrate this in another way, I must tell an old family story.


………

Children of Dreams is being showcased by the John 3:16 Marketing Network as part of their August Book Launch Event. Be sure to visit http://bit.ly/Christian_Books for a chance to win a Kindle, a $25 gift card and a $10 Starbucks card, as well as purchase Children of Dreams.

Lorilyn Roberts is a Christian author who writes children's picture books, adult nonfiction, memoirs, and a young adult Christian fantasy series, Seventh Dimension.
Lorilyn graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Alabama, which included international study in Israel and England. She received her Masters in Creative Writing from Perelandra College and is a graduate of the Institute of Children's Literature.
Lorilyn is the founder of the John 316 Marketing Network, a network of Christian authors who are passionate about promoting books with a Christian worldview.
To learn more about Lorilyn, please visit her website or blog  or  you can follow her on twitter

Paperback    or     Kindle 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this book sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing this with us~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle, for hosting me this week. I hope your readers enjoy this post. Make sure to enter into the Rafflecopter drawing for a free Kindle.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....