Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Bitter Chocolate ~ Compelled to share the sweet message

{Have you had a chance to register for my newsletter? It's just over there on the right...}

In the wake of Easter 2013, I am deeply moved. I cannot stay silent.
I searched for fair trade chocolate eggs in every shop I visited over the past few weeks, to celebrate and remember the gift of freedom that each Easter brings. Yet I was faced with rows and rows and rows of chocolate without the fair trade symbol. Chocolate that had been farmed by children as young as seven who are treated like slaves, deprived of an education, who may never see their family again, who have been stolen and forced into horrendous situations.
Obviously too many people are still unaware of this fact otherwise the shelves at our local shops would be filled with ethically farmed, fair trade products.  
They (the local shops) supply what's demanded.
If we demand only fair-trade chocolate, that’s what the shops will stock.
More of us need to purchase only fair trade chocolate.
Take a stand today.
Say no to child slavery.
Say no to companies giving anyone less that a fair work environment. 


The Dark Side of Chocolate  ...




What does fair trade actually do? Here is some good news.



How cool is this app... search for chocofinder on your smartphone to locate ethically farmed chocolate.


Another way we can help stop child slavery is to sponsor children. By sponsoring a child you can help their whole family. The child is educated and financially cared for so that the family is no longer burdened. Sponsoring a child sends a ripple effect throughout entire communities. 

14 comments:

  1. I didn't even realize there was fair trade chocolate. Thanks for making me aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I did not realize this! Thank you for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, this is disturbing. I didn't know that the chocolate industry played such a big role in child slavery. Awful! I don't know that I've ever seen "Fair Trade" products in the US, but I will definately be looking for them. Thanks so much for sharing, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize the chocolate industry was involved with child slavery, either. How horrible!!! Thank you for this. I will now be on the lookout for Fair Trade chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize the chocolate industry did this either. Sort of sours the enjoyment, doesn't it? Good to know of the Fair Trade kind. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awful! Thanks for the information. It's always important to be as informed about various issues as you can be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for shouting out the atrocities of chocolate slavery. Our local health food store, Terra Organica, has been supporting anti-slavery campaigns (and stocking fair trade chocolate) for years. Not sure if they had eggs, though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fair Trade chocolate tastes a little sweeter. Thanks for standing up for those poor children!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only recently heard of Fair Trade chocolate. Thanks for talking about it here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeez, is nothing free of corruption, greed and avarice?

    Flash 55 - Visual Vexations

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sad. Kids should be free to be grow up in loving homes where they're safe and cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog, nice atmosphere, interesting here with you. :) Regards! In my note of
    extraordinary event involving historic steam locomotives. You are cordially invited! :)
    I hope you enjoy it. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's horrible what these poor children go through. I will definitely be on the lookout for Fair Trade chocolate.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know the chocolate industry uses child slavery! This is good to know, i'll definitely keep a lookout for fair trade chocolates now.

    PS: I'm hosting a Suigo hair pack giveaway; hope you enter: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/05/suigo-hair-review-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....