Monday, August 6, 2012

A letter to my closest...





I have just completed another revision of one of my young adult contemporary works in progress which we writerly types call - YA Contemp WIP. And it became glaringly obvious during the past week how completely incompetent I become while I’m in the middle of a revision or rewrite.

You were not alone in some of my shocking slip ups…Some of which included… forgetting to remind a friend I wasn’t going to meet her at the park. Forgetting to confirm my son was sleeping over and I just turned up and dropped him off. Staring off into the distance while conversation continued around me. I even stopped the flow of conversation with unnecessary writerly talk. Yes, you see now … (please laugh with me) incompetent in general life. 

So I apologise in advance because this episode that has just past will be a reoccurring event. But I know what I must do so I don’t lose all friends and family in the process.  I must remember to set more reminders on my smart (oh so very smart) phone and write every detail and event on our kitchen calendar (where my kids keep me accountable). And perhaps then, while my head is in a far away land of fantasy, our life here on earth can continue without too much confusion.

I am so very thankful for friends and family who accept that my head is often off in another world with created characters.

But most of all I’m thankful for the ridiculous grace over my life. As I fall asleep each night, I know that tomorrow is new and fresh – and this gift of creativity I have will find the margin to flourish.

And so I sign off in

Love Hope and Grace


AKA Mich/Michelle/Shelle/Micky/Mic/Sis/Cuz/Bob/George (aha.. yep…don’t ask)


photo credit... my camera, my candle, my hand, my keyboard

9 comments:

  1. I am so grateful for ridiculous grace over us when we do things like this!!! This made me laugh so much as I am guilty of doing the same many times over. I have been guilty of similar things with you and other friends. Perhaps even with you??!!

    One of my down falls? Birthdays! One year I might make a big fuss of a friend's birthday. The next year, I totally forget and don't even send them a card or a text!!! Ooops...

    As one of your closests.....(confession - I thought you were writing to your closet when I saw the title!!), I love you just the way you are. You won't lose me over these minor offences. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy how swept up we can become! It's the joy of creative activity! Good luck keeping it all in balance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe, I can soooo relate to this. I need more post-it notes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I understand you completely. I'm pretty much useless in the middle of revisions or a rewrite. It's impossible to get me to think about anything else for very long. My writing is always at the back of my mind.

    Have fun writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand completely. When I am absorbed in a project, I have to write everything down on a calendar or it doesn't happen. I actually realized I forget a recent medical appt. Yikes! Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you survived without too much disaster befalling that 'real life' :) Hope the revisions went well! And your idea of setting yourself reminders is a good one. But definitely enlist the help of your kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At times my manuscripts sweep me away. I have to keep lists and my calendar updated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post. I get lost when I'm writing or editing. Sometimes it actually takes me a few minutes to rejoin the real world. And usually I have no idea what is going on there other than just the highlights until I'm re-informed. I would be lost without my calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought it was just 'cuz I was going senile. But maybe not so!--I'm just a writer. LOL Good luck with your new goals. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....