Saturday, July 21, 2012

Write on in Hope!


Set your stories free. Send them into the world.


So I blinked and realised it has been a month since my last blog post. I remind myself of the above - I am a writer first and a blogger because I enjoy community. What has been happening you ask? (if you didn't ask... feel free to enjoy the posters and move on ;) )

I discovered Pinterest! 

I started submitting my YA novel "Stephanie" to agents and publishing houses. Then as I waited, anxiety and mild depression hit. I quickly found myself in a downward spiral of darkness, spurred on by rejection after rejection. I am happy to say the dark cloud lifted and I found my way back to a happy frame of mind and a good attitude. Looking back over the past 6 weeks, I see how my (not so good) attitude together with tiredness effected my energy levels and well being.

I discovered... 
Take time to nurture yourself.

And then came a small glimmer of hope that aspiring writers cling to... Out of all of the rejections (that just seemed to keep coming and coming) came two opportunities to rewrite and resend. Both asked for completely different changes which still has me pondering a solution. 


keep calm and write on

So, as I am a writer, I have been focusing on my writing, how about you?


13 comments:

  1. Thanks Michelle. great post and a great reminder for me to keep going with my art and also to get back into my writing. thanks for the inspiration. Pxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to have you back in the blogosphere, Michelle. It is so hard to juggle everything and write as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the requests for a rewrite.

    Agents and publishers see hundreds of manuscripts every month. They read them mercilessly. The earlier they can put it on the 'no thanks' pile, the sooner they can get through the mountain of so-called slush.

    Your writing was good enough to stand out and make these people see there was merit to your effort.

    Now go forth and rewrite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, Michelle! Excellent reminders. Enjoy your new creative challenges. That's the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand! Sometimes I feel so depressed when it feels like my dreams are hitting another dead end, but then I remember I need to take care of myself. It's so easy to forget to eat well and sleep well and spend time immersed in God's word. Man, it only takes a few days of that for me to feel awful about life. I'm so glad you've reached a better frame of mind, regardless of the news you get from the publishing front. And love that quote about the grass being greener where you water it. I'd never heard that one before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear of the interest in your work, even if the two have different ways of approaching it. Keep up the awesomeness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been writing a lot and blogging a little less this summer. I received a disappointing rejection from an agent over the weekend so I can empathize. I love the posters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All beautiful thoughts. Glad you have you back, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm on Pinterest, too. It's fun over there. :)

    Good luck with the queries. And congrats on the two invites to resubmit. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are way way ahead of me!! I am still in the dreaming about writing stage....I pick up a lot of insights from bloggers like you!!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    and good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Argh, yes, there is definitely something about querying and submitting that gets a writer down. I'm glad you got some nuggets of hope and optimism back! I haven't been writing, myself, but I want to get back to it next month. Enjoy your August!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pinterest is so much fun, isn't it?

    Congrats the requests to resend! That's a great sign!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Write on Michelle!

    I have found that reposting any picture from Pinterest on the Footprints Facebook page gets an AMAZING response. Obviously, people like pretty pictures as well as text! And, I guess most people haven't found Pinterest yet?

    As for me, I have been focussed on healing from my recent op and gradually getting back into normal life (now back at work for 2 weeks). Praying and seeking God about direction for Footprints, blogging, writing, speaking etc. And writing of course - I can't not, if that makes sense!

    love Janet xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....