Monday, March 5, 2012

White Collar Skid Row by Melissa Ann Bell



“Melissa thought her faith was strong, but when she fell in love with and married a charming doctor, in rehab for alcoholism, she quickly became his enabler and their relationship challenged all she believed about herself and her faith. White Collar Skid Row is a wake-up call for any woman who thinks she might be impervious to falling for the wrong man and excellent resource for any woman who already did.”


After reading the above blurb on Bookcrash, I thought this would be an interesting read. I was not disappointed in that regard. It was fascinating and quite educational as to what goes on in family where addictions control and lies prevail. I felt the pain of the family while I journeyed with them, through their lives.

As I began to read White Collar Skid Row, I found my internal editor jumping out...wanting to change words, sentences, punctuation and even paragraphs. You may or may not find that same.

What I did learn is that for many of us, going into rescue mode becomes human nature, but it can also enable the person to continue with their destructive behaviour - in this case - drinking and taking drugs. If someone is always there to clean up the mess, the person will never have to face the consequences themselves. We can’t make a person change, only they can do that for themselves.

White Collar Skid Row is a memoir that felt like a saga spanning many years and many challenges. The way Melissa has added some final notes, brings the story together to a satisfying end.  


I received a complimentary ebook of White Collar Skid Row by Melissa Ann Bell to review from Bookcrash 

14 comments:

  1. Like you said, interesting premise. I might have to look into this one, too. Thanks for the highlight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so easy to become an enabler in any relationship by simply trying to help! Crazy how that is.

    And I see you got your header to go all the way across again. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting, adding it to my (long) list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would pick this one up for the title alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with a satisfying ending goes on my TBR list. Thanks for another great book recommendation, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting premise, although I get frustrated with books that grab the attention of my internal editor. Still, enabling is a fascinating and complicated topic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for a good memoir to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a powerful book. One of these days I'm going to read a memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My internal editor can't shut up at the best of times so if this one stirred your editor, I'm sure mine would go crazy ;) Still, it sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard of this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting. Haven't heard of it. A very sensitive subject. And I have a hard time turning off the internal editor too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have the most eclectic selection of book reviews! This one sounds interesting. Thanks for keeping me well-rounded. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with your comments. The hardest thing in the world for me was to let one of my daughters fail at something that I knew would make things harder for her later. But I didn't "rescue" her, and she learned more from the experience than if I had intervened. Sounds like this memoir has that kind of flavor.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....