Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ellenvale Gold by Amanda Deed + Interview


Ellenvale Gold
~ An Aussie Review ~

The Blurb...

It is the time of Australia's harsh rogue-filled goldrush of the 1850s when Miss Penelope Worthington suddenly finds herself orphaned, isolated and alone. With a large sheep station to run single-handedly, she has little option but to enlist the aid of a mysterious, but sinister stranger. But who is the more treacherous? Gus-the scruffy, trespassing, ex-convict who co-incidentally shows up looking for work just when she desperately needs a farmhand or Rupert-the handsome, wealthy neighbour who would willingly marry her at the drop of a hat and solve her apparent dilemma? Repeatedly, her faith is tested as she faces the unforgiving elements, deceit, lies and uncertainty. But where and how will it all end? But...is it the end? Will vengeance return or will Penny's faith prevail? Amanda Deed is the award winning author of The Game, which was awarded the CALEB Fiction Prize in 2010. (copied from Goodreads)

 ~Inspirational Christian Historical Romance ~

After reading Amanda Deed’s, ‘The Game,’ I could not wait to read Ellenvale Gold. Though it was a great read, it wasn’t the nostalgic magnificence that The Game was.

Thoughts while reading…
Do you consider yourself above … or below others? Throughout Ellenvale Gold a major theme is class or where you stand in society. Back in the 1850s those with higher a status never thanked their servants and basically treated all convicts like dirt. While reading I thought back to my own upbringing, and I did have thoughts of being better than others, how wrong I was. We are all equal in God’s eyes.

The strong Christian themes in Ellenvale Gold reminded me to take the big decisions to God and not try to work everything out myself.

Ellenvale Gold is the first in the Jackson Creek series. Amanda has set the scene beautifully for the next book.


Interview...

Your first two books are historical romances, is this your favourite genre? And do you think you’ll always write in this genre?

Historical Romance is definitely my favourite genre. As far as always goes - probably not. I do have ideas for tween novels and YA novels and fantasies - well, too many ideas really. I guess I'll have to see how it all pans out.

Being a musician, does this influence your writing? If so how?

I haven't used my knowledge of music to a great extent so far. But I would like to write a novel or two with musical characters in them. In my current WIP my leading lady is proficient on the piano and has a lovely singing voice, but I would like to make it the main focus of a character sometime in the future.

Do you have a favourite author?

My very, very favourite happens to be Stephen Lawhead. Almost every time I pick up one of his novels, I am dreading the end by the time I'm a few chapters in - I know it will be over soon and I'll have to wait a long time for the next one.

Have you panned for gold?

Possibly some time in my childhood, with my rellies who lived out near Ballarat, or when we visted Sovereign Hill. But not that I can remember clearly. It would be fun to do though, I think.




2012 Book Challenge

I purchased a copy of Ellenvale Gold. Then I won a copy through Narelle Atkins. So Instead of keeping both I thought I'd give one away. A huge thank you to Amanda Deed and Narelle. 

22 comments:

  1. Woot for some Stephen Lawhead love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting, and how cool that you got an author interview too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelly. I wish my kids thought I was cool. LOL! I try to tell them ...

      Delete
  3. my hubby loves Stephen Lawhead as well, I started one of his novels, but then got given some books as presents and never finished it.

    I have panned for gold as an adult, and once you know how it's not that hard. We even showed some people how to do it in New Zealand.
    I have never quite put a musician in my novels (much) but I love to sing and never put a singer there.

    MEL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel. How could you not finish a Stephen Lawhead????? Kidding. Feeling a bit jealous of your gold-panning skills. :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an interesting book :) I took my kids to Sovereign Hill last year to pan for gold, they had fun but didn't find anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa. Sovereign Hill is on my list of things to do with my kids. Can't wait to get back there. :)

      Delete
  5. This does sound like a great book. I need to read more Christian novels...hey, I just need to read more and paint a little less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula. Painting is great too. I dabble in visual art from time to time, but mostly I'm too busy writing. :)

      Delete
  6. Would love a read of an Aussie Christian historical romance. Please pop me in with a chance, Michelle. :) Ta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kathryn, thanks for your interest. Good luck with the competition. :)

      Delete
  7. Nice interview. Ellenvale Gold sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia. All the best for the draw. Blessings. :)

      Delete
  8. Any book that reminds me to rely on God is a good one. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily. I've had a few people tell me they've been encouraged in that way through Ellenvale Gold. Cheers. :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds very engrossing! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Talli. Thanks for stopping by. All the best for the draw. Blessings. :)

      Delete
  10. Thankyou for the review and opportunity to win; I'm a huge bookworm and always on the lookout for interesting reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MichVee. Ahhh, a fellow bookworm. Good luck with the competition. Blessings. :)

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any of Amanda's work yet but have only heard good things so far. I'm keen to get a copy of The Game and try that one out - especially after your comments now. And Ellenvale Gold's heronie has a very nice name!
    BTW. I love your blog background here :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't usually read historical novels but you've intrigued me with this one. I like the themes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....