Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Voice, New Testament


~ Book Review ~
The Voice New Testament (Revised and Updated)by Ecclesia Bible Society is relatively new. It is similar in some respect to The Message version as it reads like a story, yet from what I’ve read so far, The Voice has kept the power of other translations. The team of 27 bible scholars, 51 writers and 36 contributors have created a translation that is considered a “contextual equivalence” rather than a paraphrase.

I’m not sure if I agree on a couple of decisions the team made when translating the original Bible texts into the Voice. One of those being that when Jesus addressed people as ‘brothers’ the Voice team have decided to write the scriptures as gender neutral or gender inclusive - ‘brothers and sisters.’(preface xv)

In general, this version is incredibly enjoyable to read and understand. It now stands proudly beside my New King James version.



Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments....