Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Nanberry by Jackie French





~An Aussie Review ~
Happy Australia Day!

The blurb...
Nanberry, black brother whiteIt's 1789, and as the new colony in Sydney Cove is 
established, Surgeon John White defies convention 
and adopts Nanberry, an Aboriginal boy, to raise as 
his son. Nanberry is clever and uses his unique gifts as an interpreter to bridge the two worlds he lives in. With his white brother, Andrew, he witnesses the struggles of the colonists to keep their precarious grip on a hostile wilderness. And yet he is haunted by the memories of the Cadigal warriors who will one day come to claim him as one of their own. This true story follows the brothers as they make their way in the world - one as a sailor, serving in the Royal Navy, the other a hero of the Battle of Waterloo. No less incredible is the enduring love between the gentleman surgeon and the convict girl, saved from the death penalty, to become a great lady in her own right. (copied directly from Goodreads)


Thoughts while reading….
I cannot image how invaded the Aborigines would have felt. I cannot image myself living in Australia during the late 1700s. I appreciate and admire the people who came to Australia, who respected the land they had come to and the people who lived here first. 
The has been stigma around this issue of being a convict. It has taken generations for some families to leave their convict history in the past. I love that Australia isn't divided by class. A ‘Gentleman’ can fall in love with anyone and marry her. A person, who has been in jail, can serve time, repent and make a new life and isn't forever labelled a jailbird. (I hope)
When I think back to the way things were run, especially when the Governor left the country and the law was left the hands of the drunken New South Wales Corps, I'm thankful for the legal system we have in place now. Though often frustrating, I'd rather have some system than none.

Though labelled a Young Adult book, I highly recommend it for anyone 13 to 100. There are themes of abuse, mistresses, alcoholism and violence – so use parental discretion.
I thoroughly enjoyed Nanberry by Jackie French.  It is a compelling story to read. 


21 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great read. Will have to search the library for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like an interesting historical fiction for YA with cross over appeal - thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds compelling indeed, and yet potentially depressing. I'm not much into depressing stuff right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know only a little about Australia and it's history, so I'm sure I would find this to be a fascinating read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love finding out about new books that wouldn't hit my radar. I kept thinking about the Hugh Jackman/Nicole Kidman movie, Australia, while reading this post. I know so little about Australia apart from what I've seen in movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that book sounds like a must-read. The cover is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me feel lucky to be living in this century. Thanks for the book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds very intriguing. (the book and Australia)

    I'm new here, from Lynda's BBQ. *waves* Nice to meet you. :)

    Happy weekend,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a book I'd like to read. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds lovely!Funny, isn't it? How white man came in and took from so many people all over the world. As sad as it is, I believe it was also inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you from Lynda's blog. This looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds intriguing! (ha, I see Lola used that word too, but I really did think of it all by myself LOL) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! I LOVE a good historical novel. I've read very little about Australia but have always thought it a fascinating country. And...there is a Denham, Australia which leads me to suspect some members of my family were sent there. Not unlikely, as the early American Denhams were sent there as indentured servants.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great book I'll check it out. Thanks for the review. I'm here from the BBQ at Lynda's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I would probably enjoy this but it sounds like one that my daughter would particularly love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Jackie French! Sounds great. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds awesome! I'm adding it to my list. I just stopped by from Lynda Young's blog as part of her BBQ. It's nice to meet you as I also write contemporary Young Adult.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like a very touching read Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My parents both read this recently and gave it to me to read next and it fits in with the AWW2012 challenge which is great.

    I really enjoyed your review and I'm looking forward to reading this soon

    Mands

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....