Saturday, January 28, 2012

Heart of Gold by Fiona Palmer


Heart of Gold

~An Aussie Review~

CJ Wishart is a hardworking country girl with a heart of gold but a life that can be tough. Her job as a wool classer is back-breaking, her family life is a disaster and, after a string of dating debacles, she's put men in the too-hard basket. 
When stong, handsome Lindsay arrives on the scene as their new shearer, CJ can't help but take notice. They have an undeniable spark, but can she handle the complications and potential heart-break of falling in love? 

With help from her best friend and an endearing old farmer, CJ learns that when you stay true to yourself and open your heart, anything is possible. (blurb copied from Goodreads)


I grew up on a dairy farm and I have to say, I do love a rural read - it brings out the ocker in me. I learnt heaps about shearing in this novel.  Fiona has heaps of info about shearing HERE ...Now I want to visit a sheep farm.

I loved this book! Mostly - I read it with a smile or with a lump in my throat.

Thoughts while reading…

This book has themes of depression and takes a look at how men deal with it. There are many organisations ready to help people get themselves out of that dark downward spiral. Knowing the signs of depression, and to encourage a friend to seeking help, could be the best thing you ever offer a loved one.

Family burdens affect everyone differently, and most families come with some baggage. I think there are times in life where you need to ask, ‘Is this my responsibility to carry, or should I walk away?’ And only you can answer that.

In this book we take a look at Good old ‘Heart of Gold’ Aussies who shoot straight and tell it like it is. It’s too easy to get caught up in playing games or not saying something in case you offend someone. But personally, I love honesty. I love when I meet the, ‘What you see is what you get’ type of person.

How about you?

Are you part ocker?

Do you shoot straight?

Some links to depression resources … Beyond Blue ,  Black Dog Institute  
My friend Jo has overcome depression - You might find her blogs and links

2012 Book Challenge

This is an unsponsored review

20 comments:

  1. I too greatly value honesty, though it's taken me a long time to get more open with my thoughts and feelings around men (at least, men I'm romantically involved with). With my friends and family, and with perfect strangers, I am very open and "what you see is what you get".

    This book sounds like a good read! I'm not a country girl at all, but I do like the sight of a nice sexy farmer. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Sorry! I should have written the definition above.
      An ocker is an Aussie who speeks or acts uncultured

      Delete
  3. Not sure what an ocker is either, but i *think* it's a good thing. How great that you included resources for depression. That's really great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for not including the definition of an ocker... Its an Aussie who speeks or acts uncultured

      Delete
  4. I've been caught out using Aussie slang as well from time to time -- it's amazing how many words we don't realise are our own! I haven't read a lot of books with rural Aussie settings -- thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I know NOTHING about sheep shearing, this would be an educational read for me. :) I also didn't know what an ocker is. lol This is a great one to post. I love books put a lump in your throat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! We have a dairy farm. And yes, I consider myself a straight shooter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on the honesty part. I'm definitely a "what you see is what you get" kinda gal. Thanks for the review! A book that tackles a hard subject like depression sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on the honesty. Okay, I just typed the exact line Emily did! LOL. Great minds! Anyway, I am a what you see is what you get person. This book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband grew up in Wisconsin, and he sometimes worked on dairy farms! :) I love honesty, too. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to say it like it is, but it got me in too much trouble ;)

    The book sounds fabulous. It won me with the character putting men in the too-hard basket. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great book! I'm part ocker, seeing as how my uncle has a dairy farm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had grown up on a farm, but I ended up in New York City. I am not really a city girl, though I love to visit. Sounds like a wonderful book!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting! Now I know what an "ocker" is. :D I grew up more rural, and my grandma had a chicken farm and sold eggs. This sounds like a good book! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always been a city girl. But, on occasion, I like going to the country to relax. I like that the book deals with depression.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that I know what an ocker is, I can say that I'm not one--and I guess that's good. : ) I much prefer honesty, but I also think that sometimes saying nothing is best.

    Heart of Gold sounds like an interesting read, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's interesting to read about how men deal with depression. Also, I've never lived in the country, but I do appreciate it and enjoy that setting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. An interesting review.
    Thanks for sharing it for the AWW challenge

    Shelleyrae @ Book’d Out

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hehehehe I'm South African, so I don't think I can be an ocker. ;-)

    The story sounds very sweet.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....