Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Game by Amanda Deed


~ An Aussie Review ~

Meg Wingrove worked happily in her roll as governess to the four Sainsbury children. She held herself in complete control when the dashingly handsome brother to Mrs Sainsbury, Jack Fordham came to visit. Jack is used to women falling at his feet and is somewhat taken aback when Meg isn't swayed by his flattery or charms. When the two seem in agreement to drop the flirtatious banter, they become close friends. Neither are willing to admit they have fallen in love. To Jack, winning Meg's affection is a game he wants to win. To Meg, her faith is more important and she vows to never enter a relationship with a man who does not share her faith.  

The Game is a delicious read set in the Sydney surrounds of 1844. If I hadn't met Amanda Deed in person, I would be left thinking she is from another era. The Game is mesmerising and nostalgic. After reading about battling pioneering convicts in Mary's Guardian and Charlotte'sAngel, to read about the affluent Jack Forham, heir to a noble English title, is another wonderful piece of Australian history brought to us through fiction.

The Game won the Omega Writers' Caleb Prize in 2010. A worthy winner and a worthy read. 
Now I can’t wait to get my hands on Amanda’s latest release Ellenvale Gold 

8 comments:

  1. I gave you an award on my blog yesterday, Michelle. I'm just now getting around to telling you (sorry!) but come on by and get it if you like:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like some super romantic historical fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great read! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a really fabulous book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this book sounds wonderful! I love the setting too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome that you got to meet her in person :) ... how fun!! ... was that at the writers conference you went to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved The Game too - even if it did win the finals in CALEB and not me. LOL. Have not long finished reading Ellenvale Gold and also an excellent book that even has a "teaser" in the epilogue which makes me want to read the sequel even more!
    Thanks for so many great posts, Michelle. As you can see, I'm only now having a chance to catch up.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....