Thursday, December 1, 2011

Charlotte’s Angel by Carol Preston


~ An Aussie Review ~ 

I read Charlotte's Angel just before holidays ... while I was dreaming of my holiday view that would look like this ... 



Ocean is just to the left... mountains are just to the right... ahh - it was bliss


You may have recently read my review of Mary’s Guardian by Carol Preston,Charlotte’s Angel is next in the series.

Charlotte Plum is born to an ex-convict who is anything but maternal. Her mother drags her from home to home to run from those chasing after stolen goods. For many hours each day, young Charlotte is left unattended and is expected to clean and cook, while her mother sleeps off a hangover or just catches up on sleep from an overactive night.

Thomas Douglass catches Charlotte in his sister’s garden but instead of chastising her, he invites her in. Charlotte welcomes the friendship his family shows her. Their friendship is all too soon severed when Charlotte’s mother decides it’s time to move on again and drags Charlotte away with her.

I imagine with the ex-convict banner hung over your head, there would have been a lot of people who struggled with their worthiness. This novel takes a slightly different look at the convict generation where Carol Preston has again researched the era and weaved a fictional story into our amazing Australian history. 

Mary's Guardian and Charlotte's Angel are both great stories and ever so interesting. 

Historical Fiction with Christian elements.

Disclaimer ~ After hosting a Light the Dark this book was given to me for reviewing purposes. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds really interesting, and it sounds like a really original angle as well -- I can't think of another book that takes on this area of Australian history like this. As both an Aussie and a history major, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this book. I'll take a look at it!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound intriguing! I like the setting too. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree this is a very good read. I have to confess that for several pages I found it harder to get into than Mary's Guardian which I absolutely love! Over the years I've read many books set in this era and Carol's books are wonderful the way they look at so many convict problems from different viewpoints.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....