Saturday, October 29, 2011

My NaNoWriMo 2011 Tips


Two years ago, in October, I was midway through a twelve week challenge to lose weight. My Twitter feed became flooded (well almost) with #NaNoWriMo tweets. I asked ‘What is NaNoWriMo’? I checked out the site www.nanowrimo.org I got excited. 
So I ditched my weight loss challenge (I was in the running to win $1000) and signed up to write a novel in a November. I didn’t have time to turn up to all of the weigh-ins and write 50000 words.
That was 2009 … I won NaNoWriMo. The winner of the weight loss challenge lost approximately the same amount of weight I’d lost in the first 6 weeks, but writing a novel was my dream. I knew I’d made the right decision.
Previously, I had started several novels but seemed to always get stuck going back to edit and rewrite parts.
Last year, I bounced back to the challenge and signed up again for NaNoWriMo 2010. And then we were invited to a wedding in New Zealand. I knew I had to get most of my 50000 words written before we left Australia.
I did it. I won Nano again in 2010. I love the adrenalin rush of forcing myself to write without looking back.

So with two wins under my belt I bring you some NaNo tips…

  1. Never look back.
From the 1st November to the 30th November the page that stares back at you beckons you forward. Keep a note pad beside you to make notes of where and what you need to adjust or make amendments to. Write in bold highlighted letters in the middle of your manuscript if you know you need to fix something in the earlier pages, but November is not the month to revisit what you’ve already written.

  1. Word Wars
Word wars or writing races help me write super fast. There are days in November where I simply don’t have the time to dwell over my storyline or find the right words. Write or die is a race against time where you can get as many words as you can down in 5, 10 or 15 mins (you choose) There are also loads of people willing to race you, check out the NaNo forums or your local write-ins.

  1. The house can wait
"Women with clean houses do not have finished books." ~  Joy Held
I love this quote. I’m not good at housework.. but in November it can wait.. or hire some help. What is 'writing a novel' really worth to you.

    4. Check out my PiBoIdMo tips. They apply to NaNoWriMo as well. Yes I'm doing both PiBoIdMo and NaNoWriMo - I find they complement each other. 

Are you game to have a go? 


9 comments:

  1. Great tips! I love nano too. I wish I could get someone to clean my house - that would be an enormous help!!! :)

    PS - love the new avatar pic - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have signed up too... just in the nick of time!
    Good luck with your prep work over the weekend.
    Sorry if this sounds daft - my first year but how does one win NaNo?
    And what have you done with your manuscript?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great question Kristy - to win is to complete the 50000 words in November.
    I'm still working on the other 2 manuscripts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my third year doing NaNo too. The first year I did it unofficially because I'd already started writing the novel. I didn't hit 50k that year because I had an 8 month old and a very active 2 year old and I was also teaching part time. But last year I did it officially and I got to 50k (after starting a completely new novel 1 week in because the first wasn't working).

    No looking back is a great tip. There's always December for reading over what you've written.

    I'm planning on having a big house cleaning day on Monday before I start NaNo.

    I'm excited to be doing it again this year. We'll have to have some word wars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those do sound like fabulous tips! I'm not doing NaNo this year, even though posts like this make me REALLY WANT TO. Ah, well. There's always next year. You know... like January. ;) For now, though, REVISIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have couple of things that I thought of too. Try to give yourself a buffer and write as much as you can the first two/three days.
    Tell your family members what you are doing. And if possible have meals in the freezer that they can heat up themselves.

    MEL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your NaNo history. Last year was the first time for me. I'm doing again this year. So awesome. I have an outline ready to go and it's so much easier! So, for my first day I wrote 4161 words!! I don't expect to match that again, but it's a great start.

    Wishing you the best for NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like women with super clean houses just have super clean houses! There wouldn't be time for anything else would there..or maybe they really are super efficient?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a fiction writer but otherwise I love the concept of NaNoWriMo!

    I find my house is cleanest when I am procrastinating from writing / Footprints LOL ...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....