Friday, October 14, 2011

Grandparents and Family






Earlier this year I noticed how my parents and other family members make an effort to get to ‘school’ events. I looked back to when our children were enrolled in a traditional school and how their grandparents would all make the effort to be present Grandparents Day. Then I noticed that since we’d been home schooling, our kids' grandparents had stopped taking an interest in our children’s schooling.

So I announced that we’d have a Grandparents and Family week. My parents, hubby’s parents, our elderly neighbour (almost family) and one of hubby’s brothers all made the effort to visit, share some food and enjoy seeing what the kids have been doing this year.




The kids read stories, poetry, danced and played music. They cooked morning or afternoon tea and they showed off their artwork, and where they work each day.  They gave a gift to each visitor (drawings and artwork) and then offered their artwork to be purchased (at very reasonable prices)


It really was a wonderful week.
And I'm sure our guests enjoyed it too.

12 comments:

  1. Thats so nice, what a great idea. Bet the family loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very sweet way to include folks, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely idea. I guess it's all too easy for things like visitors days to slip during homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh....sorry! My heart just melted all over those photos!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic idea.
    Even down to the selling of the art.
    I bet they all learnt a lot that week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea Michelle! I have never thought about those things that a homeschooled child would miss out on. It's great you have recognised it and brought the family together for a very essential part of the learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle,
    What a great idea. The children look like they enjoyed it as much as the adults. Liked the selling of the artwork to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, what a great idea! :)

    Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea! That's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guess people all around the world... are only different in colors. Sweet~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Michelle, what a beautiful idea! I grew up without any grandparents in Australia (though I later chose myself a grandmother), and my Mum Dad always made a huge effort to get along to all our school events. It meant so much to have them there, and I think it's fantastic that you've done that for your kids!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....