Monday, January 31, 2011

What moves you?

I mean, what really moves you?

I remember having a really good friend who lived 20 minutes away from me on a property. There were several falling down buildings … old and shabby and something about them enchanted me. Moved me.



Rusty roof
Weathered timber
A paling loose here
Iron curled up there
The age within
Stories held silent
Journeys unknown
Sheltered for years
A home
A stable
A dairy
A barn
An ancient shack
A haven for me


My sister recently took this photo of an old Aussie cottage, and once again, I was moved. I was moved to feel. I felt something. A tugging. A joy.

A building like this, would be my perfect writing hide-a-way. Old and shabby on the outside, and I imagine, on the inside it would be water proof, air-conditioned, and comfortable.

What moves you?

6 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about old, weathered beach cottages. There's something so charming about them, and so conducive to writing. They're a little world of their own :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!

    I love log cabins in the wood with wide open porches :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, they do the same thing to me. I want to peek into the past and see who lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine has a beautiful shack out in the bush. There's no electricity connected, so writing's done by making long lists of points to get down, then turning on the laptop to furiously type before the battery dies! It has a tin roof, so when it rains you can hear the rain pinging on it, and a shower head outside attached to a tree, so you can shower under the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. Old buildings move me too. Actually anything slightly broken or falling down moves me. Makes me want to right all the wrongs in the world or curl up in the arms of the man who loves me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Isn't it amazing how we are wired?
    I am also moved by second-hand book shops. There's something about the smell, and the dim, and the inspiration beautiful old books hold!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....