Tuesday, November 2, 2010

NaNoWriMo Tip

NaNoWriMo... So perhaps I’m procrastinating….

Something that I read last year was to NEVER delete anything while NaNoWriMo is on. Leave the editing until December, January or later.

It’s a great idea but I found when I went back to my 2009 Nano, some parts were confusing.

My 2010 Nano Tip – if you want to delete it … put brackets around it, change the font colour or underscore. That way when you come back to editing, you’ll have a good idea of the parts to delete straight away.

Have you got any great NaNoWriMo Tips?

5 comments:

  1. Great tip, Michelle. And not just for NaNo writers either. Sometimes those fresh ideas are better than the edited ones - so you want to keep a copy of them to revert back to. Even PB authors.

    Kat - http://katswhiskers.wordpress.com/

    (Your blog isn't talking to my wordpress tonight - so I've had to log in anonymously.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great one! I bracket all kinds of stuff and highlight it with yellow. Then I just have to search for the highlights to know what I need to fill in. This works because I don't write in order and often have to piece my scenes together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your tip. I always think I will remember things but I never do unless i note it some how. i am off to find you to be your NaNo buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. i found you and added you as a buddy. Your word count is fantastic. My user name is goldennib.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat - yes, it is so important to keep those original ideas ... just in case you decide to revert back

    Elana - I think I'll add highlighting to my first draft... great idea... have done it in re-writes but now will being using that one for NaNo

    Nessa - thanks for finding me on NaNo... I found you too :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....