Saturday, October 30, 2010

Why We Home Educate / Home School part 1

Part 1…

There seems to be a lot of mystery around the idea of Home Education. People who don’t home school, wonder why, what how etc. People who do home school have a multitude of reasons.

Home education or home schooling was something I thought I’d love to do when I was single and in my early 20’s. My husband had other plans. He had a great schooling experience. My school experience wasn’t very positive. He thought home schooled children were weird. I had met some rather normal home schooled children.

I visited my nutritionist when I was pregnant with #4 and he said that my body wasn’t coping. I had cut back as much as I could. All I was doing was looking after my house, my family and doing the school run-a-round. We thought about moving the children to a closer school or moving house, closer to the school the children were enrolled in, but I knew it was more than the long drive each day that was taking my energy – it was the rush in the morning, afternoons and nights. I felt like most of the time I was a psycho mumma.

While I was pregnant with #4, my husband happened to meet 4 different home schooling families through his work. Three were normal and one family was a little odd – but isn’t that the case in life? He also began to think homeschooling might be an option for us.


Why we home educate Part 2

Why we home educate Part 3

Why we home educate Part 4

1 comment:

  1. I quit teaching public school to homeschool our 4. I, too, felt like psycho mommy! Run here, run there, fix dinner, and get everyone to complete all homework before a normal bed time...send this to school, send that to school. I was CRAZY!!! My hubby still teaches, but life at home is so much more relaxed and less stressful. Home is truly a refuge for my hubby now.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....