Thursday, July 8, 2010

Have you rested?

Our family recently took a holiday. I chose to use the time to read and write and enjoy my family. I know I spend too much time on the internet searching, studying or surfing around social media.

We were close to a library and we visited several times, devouring books and finding books we hadn't seen before.

I find that if I don't ask the kids to turn off the TV and tell them that it's reading time – they would be glued to the TV constantly. They all read, including our 2 year old – she love to read to herself … and to us :) The joy of books is a great way to rest. During one day we all lay on our beds for quiet reading time (Dad with the paper) and we all (yes all 6 at the same time) fell asleep after a long read.

We returned to our church during our holiday for the chance to sit together and listen during the service. (we are both involved in serving and rarely sit together on a Sunday) We heard a very timely message for what is happening in our life and walked away knowing that we needed the time to rest, recuperate, rejuvenate and be ready to run when we returned home. It’s hard to rest at home. There is always so much that needs to be done. I know the importance of taking time out regularly to rest in Him, in our almighty Father.

How do you rest?

Do you find time of rest at home?

Or do you need to go away to feel rested?

Have you learnt how to rest in God?

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Michelle - so timely for me. I really don't rest. I don't find time to, I don't do it on holidays and I certainly have no idea how to rest in God. You have given me something to think about. I really do need to slow down and get some rest - not sleep - but rest. Resting my mind. Finding peace in stillness. Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michelle - so timely for me. I really don't rest. I don't find time to, I don't do it on holidays and I certainly have no idea how to rest in God. You have given me something to think about. I really do need to slow down and get some rest - not sleep - but rest. Resting my mind. Finding peace in stillness. Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thought of resting by reading. I think it's so true. My heart, my imagination, my everything recovers when I read. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool post, Michelle...

    Wow. I wish I could rest more. Heck, sleep more but I find that at night, the house is at it's quietist and everyone is sleeping. It's the only time I can get anything done creatively.

    But i should rest... I spend time watching too much TV. I'm a web editor on an entertainment site so it's "sorta" work... I have to keep up and such.

    And man, I really really really should read more.

    Thanks for reminding me I should do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forget that I need to rest and recharge and wonder wht I end up frazzled!! I a learning to rest, but it's hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm very guilty of going, going, going until I burn out.
    But we don't remember enough that our calendar week reflects the Biblical creation narrative. God created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th. He could have done it in 1 day really... he is after all, God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that rest in God comes in absolute certainty that 1) God is in control and 2) God is love. Because I now believe these truths with my heart and my mind, I am at peace.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....