Monday, July 5, 2010

Aussie Aussie Aussie...Oi Oi Oi

I saw this over at Thea's blog, Do I really Wanna Blog? and she said we could pinch it, so I am because I like it!

Here is a list of Aussie things. The ones I have done are bold.

1. Heard a kookaburra in person. (I love the kookookookookooaburra)

2. Slept under the stars.

3. Seen a koala.

4. Visited Melbourne.

5. Watched a summer thunderstorm.

6. Worn a pair of thongs. (on my feet)

7. Been to Uluru (Ayer’s Rock)

8. Visited Cape York.

9. Held a snake. ( not a chance!)

10. Sang along with Khe San.

11. Drank VB. (probably not a whole can - but I have tasted it)

12. Visited Sydney.

13. Have seen a shark. (at Seaworld count?)

14. Have used Aussie slang naturally in a conversation. (Bloody oath)

15. Had an actual conversation with an indigenous Australian.

16. Eaten hot chips from the bag at the beach.

17. Walked/climbed over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. (I've climbed a pylon... that counts hey?)

18. Used an outside dunny, and checked under the seat before sitting down.
19. Seen Chloe in Young & Jackson’s. (What?)

20. Slept on an overnight train or bus.

21. Been to Sydney’s Mardi Gras

22. Have gone bush-bashing.

23. Taken a sickie. (shhhhh)

24. Been to see a game of Aussie Rules football.
25. Have seen wild camels.

26. Gone skinny dipping.

27. Done a Tim Tam Slam. (You can do it with KitKats too, it's not as good but)

28. Ridden in a tram in Melbourne.

29. Been at an ANZAC day Dawn Service.

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.

31. Held a wombat.

32. Been on a roadtrip of 800km or more.

33. Seen the Great Australian Bight in person. (I've been to Adelaide - and I saw part of it when I went there)

34. Had a really bad sunburn. (I still remember how it feels to peel large patches of skin off, yikes!)

35. Visited an Aboriginal community.

36. Seen a redback spider.

37. Have watched Paul Hogan. (Struth, who hasn't?)

38. Seen Blue Poles in person.

39. Wandered barefoot in the bush/outback.

40. Eaten Vegemite. (yuck!)

41. Thrown a boomerang.

42. Seen the Kimberleys.

43. Given a hitch-hiker a lift.

44. Been to Perth.

45. Have tried Lemon, Lime and Bitters.

46. Tried playing a didgeridoo.
47. Seen dinosaur footprints. (in a museum)

48. Eaten Tim Tams.

49. Been to Darwin.

50. Touched a kangaroo.

51. Visited the Great Barrier Reef.

52. Listened to Kevin Bloody Wilson. (unfortunately - yes)

53. Killed a Cane Toad. (not i... but I have watched - out of the corner of my eye)

54. Gone to a drive-in theatre.

55. Have read and own books by Australian authors.
56. Visited Adelaide.

57. Know the story behind “Eternity”. (I don't even know the story in front of it??)

58. Been camping. (not planning to go agian!)

59. Visited Brisbane. (Lived there, love it!)

60. Been in an outback pub.

61. Know what the term “Waltzing Matilda” actually means.

62. Gone whale watching. (Please, don't remind me)

63. Listened to Slim Dusty. (Unfortunately)

64. Own five or more Australian movies or TV series. (including Wiggles and High 5 ?)

65. Sang along to Down Under.
66. Have stopped specifically to look at an historic marker by the side of the road.

67. Eaten a 4′n’20 pie.

68. Surfed at Bondi. (but I've been to Bondi)

69. Watched the cricket on Boxing Day.

70. Visited Hobart.

71. Eaten kangaroo.

72. Seen a quokka.

73. Visited Canberra.

74. Visited rainforests.

75. Used a Victa lawnmower.

76. Travelled on a tram in Adelaide.
77. Used a Hills hoist. (and swung aroung on it!)

78. Visited Kata Tjuta (we called them the Olgas when I visited)

79. Used native Australian plants in cooking.

80. Visited the snow. (never seen snow)

81. Chosen a side in Holden VS Ford. (How embarrassment, we were a Ford family, yet my first car was a Gemini!) (that was my sister's comment... ditto)

82. Visited the desert.

83. Been water skiing.
84. Read The Phantom.

85. Visited Parliament House. (oh so boring!!!)

86. Gone spotlighting or pig-shooting. (only played spot light with other kids)

87. Crossed the Nullarbor.

88. Avoided swimming in areas because of crocodiles.

89. Listened to AC/DC. (not by choice but they're hard to avoid in pubs!)

90. Called someone a dag.

91. Voted in a Federal Election.

92. Have been swimming and stayed between the flags.

93. Had a possum in your roof. (OMG, how loud are they??)

94. Visited the outback.

95. Travelled over corrugated roads. (I really want to type that sound you make when you're driving on these roads but I don't know what letters to use)

96. Hit a kangaroo while driving. (my brother was driving and it wasn't in the outback!)

97. Been well outside any mobile phone coverage.

98. Seen an emu.

99. Have woken to the smell of bushfires.

100. Patted a pure-bred dingo.(at the big pineapple)

101. Seen the Oils live.


Now it’s your turn, what Aussie things have you done?

4 comments:

  1. Fun! Okay - I'm Canadian but I have done a few of these (and I've never visited Autralia - although I hope to one day!)

    2 - slept under the stars
    3 - seen a koala (in a zoo)
    5 - watched a summer thunderstorm (lots!)
    6 - worn thongs (on my feet too!)
    13 - seen a shark (at a seaworld)
    18 - I'm assuming a dunny is an outhouse - so yes! & you must check under the seat!!
    30 - sunrise & sunset
    32 - road trip of 800k
    34 - bad sunburn
    37 - watched Paul Hogan
    40 - eaten vegemite - it's AWFUL!
    41 - thrown a boomerang (badly)
    54 - have done many drive ins!
    58 - been camping (tons)
    65 - sang along to Down Under
    66 - stopped for historical marker
    80 - snow - yup - Canada!
    83 - water skiing (badly)
    85 - visited Parliament - in Toronto & Ottawa - boring here too!
    89 - AC/DC is everywhere
    91 - voted - always
    92 - not sure what between the flags means...
    97 - been well outside phone coverage
    98 - seen an emu - at a zoo

    Phew! More than I expected! That was fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't like Vegemite??!!!
    How could I have not known this? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!!!!

    I've done all of them except the following:

    19. I don't believe I have seen Chloe at Young and Jacksons... Only ChloƩ I know is an expensive perfume one of my friends likes!

    21. I have not been to the Sydney Mardi Gras, but I've walked down Oxford St and been to 'The Beat' in Brisbane's Valley to see 'ladies' in drag :-)

    68. I haven't surfed at Bondi, but I've been there for a swim. Actually I've never attempted to surf, and I don't think I ever will!

    83. Waterskiing... never done that either... although I used to hang out at the UQ Waterski Club some weekends in 1990-91

    96. I haven't hit a kangaroo whilst driving, although I've seen lots of roadkill and roos by the side of the road just itching to jump in front of me. Geoff hit one while I was a passenger, but maybe that doesn't count?

    101. I have not seen the Oils live, but I have listened to them lots and seen 'Oils on the Water' dvd, thanks to Geoff being a big fan.

    So... I guess I'm about as Ocker as I can be!!! Thanks for posting this Mic, it was fun! Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny post, Michelle... One day, I would love to travel down under. Sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....