Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Our Science & Robotics Day

Yesterday we went to a science and robotics workshop. I forgot my camera so I have no pics to share with you - sorry.


This year we enrolled in a new distance ed school and this was the first time we’ve joined in with one of their events.

The teachers split the group into over 8 years old and age 7 and younger.

The older group built a Lego robot then connected it to a computer to program it to do a figure eight around a chair. That was pretty cool as my 8 and 9 year old had never done anything like it before. Possibly more important than doing something new, they had to work as a team. They were put with another girl who they’d never met. Working with each other all the time in our home school situation doesn’t give them a whole lot of opportunity to work in teams with other people. So this was great to watch them interact.

The younger group made a grass head, played detective with fingerprints, and took home a biology experiment to observe for the next 14 day. Plus they had the added bonus of fun games in between each activity.

During the morning tea break, the kids were taught how to throw a boomerang. My son was pretty happy with himself when he nearly got it to fly back to him.

I had a great day. My kids had a great day. I am so impressed with the teachers that we are now working with and we are all looking forward to the next workshop.

As a homeschooling mum I am always looking for new activities. If you are a homeschooler or teacher (who is positive towards home education) I’d love you to join in with a chat on Twitter this Monday night, 31st May, from 8 – 9 pm Standard Eastern Australia time. This month’s topic is finding new activities and homeschool newsletters.
My twitter id @michelledevans and to join in with the chat use hashtag #ahsc

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! Kids just love science when it's hands on like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like so much fun!

    I would love to find a program like that around my area. I have been looking.

    Summer is here and they have lots of activities going so maybe I can find something similar.

    Glad the experience was great for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really great day. Learning happens in so many places... all the time! I wish more people would realise that.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....