Thursday, February 25, 2010

Excerise and Weight Loss V Your Wildest Dream

Last year I noticed I’d gained a couple of kilograms over winter, it was no big deal and I knew it would go within a few months. But then, I was tempted when our church ran a 12 week challenge. It wasn’t just a weight loss challenge but a body shape change challenge, with the winner walking away with $2000. Our senior pastor was encouraging everyone to get fit and healthy for summer which I think was a great idea.

On the last sign on day when I realised it wasn’t just weight loss but they’d take into consideration your size etc I signed up. I can get pretty focused when I want to and I had that money spent in my head by the time I signed my name.

I know how to lose weight the very unhealthy way by starving or chucking. I starved myself in a variety of ways for 7 or 8 years then I discovered how easy it was for me to vomit and took that on as a way of life for the next 9 to 10 years. That whole stage of my life is a blog in itself that I will share another day.

So here I was, 37, 4 children planning to lose 10 kgs in a healthy way. I did a resistance exercises for 20 minutes 6 times a week and I jogged 15-30 minutes on my rebounder 6 times a week. I cut back to no processed foods, no rice/pasta, no sugar. Fruit and vegetables were me!

After one week my muscles were sore and I was tired – everyone told me that I’d get over that soon and feel heaps better. I increased my protein, gave myself a day off with the resistance training so I was now training 5 days but still my muscles were tired and I didn’t feel great.

I lost 5 kilograms in around 4 weeks which meant I was on target lose 10.

At that point in time, my muscles were still sore and I was tired. Then, I was temped with something else NANOWRIMO - National Novel Writing Month. I dumped the weight loss challenge to write a novel.

Truth was I was happy with losing the 5kgs. I cringe every time I see the Biggest Looser ads. I don’t think the show is in any way healthy – read The Biggest Loser a Danger to Health. I didn’t feel like I was treating my body well, even though I was eating well and exercising.

I have 4 children which equals a lot of washing, a lot of picking up, a lot of running around, a lot of a lot of things. I often wear a pedometer and on my average day I do over 10000 steps. If it means putting my body under pressure to look a certain way, is it really worth it? I just don’t think it's what God had planned for us. Our body is our earthly vessel. We need to respect it and treat it well in order to live our lives to the fullest while on earth.

I don’t think joining a gym is naturally healthy. If you enjoy going to the gym do if for enjoyment. I read about Jesus in the Bible – he didn’t spend hours lifting weights – nor was he lazy. There are many ways to be fit and healthy. Not everyone has a size 6/8 (Aussie size - not sure what that is in other countries) body and no matter how much exercise we do, the body shape we were born with is the body shape we will die with.

About that 12 week challenge last year – the female winner only lost 6 kgs, and is about my size, so I could have won but I did something that has always been my wildest dream – I wrote a novel instead.

11 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. Very sensible. Our bodies need a balanced diet of protein, healthy carbs, and small amounts of good fats. We need exercise, fresh air, good rest, and a healthy dose of love and joy.

    Here's to healthy living!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to me that you won in a different way ... you wrote a novel, which is no easy feat! Kudos to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you've been able to move past the unhealthy attitudes for your weight loss. I've known several kids who suffered from anorexia or bulimia. Hideous conditions. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly, I think that you look fabulous. And not just the 'you look great for having had 4 kids' fabulous....fabulous as a woman. Fullstop! So keep those exta kilos. Although, I seriously don't know where youare hiding them.

    Secondly, I think you made a very wise choice. Follow your passion. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post! The first of the year I tried the Providia diet, supposedly used on the show Extreme Makeover. I suppose if I had stayed on it I would have lost weight...a friend lost 40 lbs in 6 weeks (please don't ask me the kg conversion). Anyway, moderation I think is key and this extreme diet--like your starvation diets--could not have been a lifestyle for me. Enough about me...I'm impressed you've written a novel. Can I (we) hear more about it?
    It's strange...you're "half a world" away from me but feel as familiar as a neighbor...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree ... the Biggest Loser tv show sets a bad example. Personally I find that when it comes to weight loss, slow but steady wins the race. I lost 5 kg over a year which might seem slow - but it's stayed off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sensible Michelle. I've gained some weight - mostly around my middle section. It's because I'm not eating the right foods (too much crap) and I'm not exercising enough. I find just walking 30 minutes a day makes a HUGE difference for me. I just need to find the time to do it! I haven't been a member of a gym for years. Just not me now!

    Great post. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comments. I find writing about myself the hardest ... I'm a fiction writer - it's easy to make up a story but telling the truth can be difficult sometimes.
    I really appreciate you stopping by to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It should be about feeling good. And sometimes our priorities change. Congratulations on writing your novel!

    Flash 55 - Footsteps

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know what Michelle. I really loved this. And I agree. Thank you for writing it so clearly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with everything you've written here! Just found your blog tonight and I think it's lovely.

    Congratulations on losing the weight and especially on writing the book!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....