Sunday, January 10, 2010

Please welcome - Cara Salley

This week I've asked the lovely, amazing, Cara Salley to guest blog for me. Cara was one of the first friends I found on Twitter, she is inspiring, positive and filled with awesomeness. She has reviewed one of my favourite books.
Please feel welcome to pop over to Cara's blog.


The Passionate Pursuit of a Life Worth Living:

My take on “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Bronte

by Cara A. Salley


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte captured my heart as a young college girl. It was given to me as a gift, amongst a small stack of other classics. I picked it out, and always being a little reluctant to read works of fiction, non-the-less classic works of fiction, picked Jane Eyre (more than likely because with a female as the main character, it held promise of romance). I set in to read and was captured immediately. The plain and ordinary nature of the heroin was so easy to relate to. I am sure this is why I first found it to be a favorite. I was young, nothing out of the ordinary to look at, and a helpless romantic at heart. As I perused the pages of this book, I saw a young woman with passion hidden deep in her soul. She was misunderstood by many, abused by some, but kept a fire burning within her and did not let it expire until she saw love’s true end.

Over the years, I have picked up Jane Eyre time and time again, usually over the Christmas holidays with a blanket and a warm cup of coffee. As a wife, mother, and minister, I tend to spend most of my time reading the Bible (my favorite in terms of timeless truth and value), or self-improvement (of which I have many that top my chart), but Jane Eyre is my candy. Every time I pick it up, I find myself engrossed in the rhythm of its words.

Charlotte was a master craftsman, ahead of her time in thought, and truly an inspiration in writing. It seems, as well, that I find a new theme come to light each time I pick it up. Jane is so relatable on many different levels. When I read it as a young girl, I was conflicted as I read of her pursuits of love and it’s injustice to her. As I entered ministry, I saw the repeated themes of religion exposed. I picked up Jane Eyre again over Christmas (this time, at the suggestion of my husband, in audio form through librivox.org. Who has time to snuggle with a blanket and cup of coffee to read a book when you’re a mother!). This reading, or rather hearing, nearly made me cry as I saw the abuse of children that rang loud as a reoccurring theme through the book. My heart swelled as I saw how Jane was mistreated by her own family, how religion abused and ultimately killed so many in her school, and how the little girl she tutored was born into a broken family and disregarded by her own mother. My heart swelled with compassion as a mother as I read Jane Eyre this past time, and it danced and sang once more as I saw justice and passion had their reign once more in Jane’s life.

If you have not ever picked this one up, I highly recommend you do. If you are not usually fond of classics, this is a great beginning piece. If you are not a woman (which you probably are if you are reading this blog!), my husband read it this past Christmas too and was absolutely enthralled with it. On a final note: I am a professed romantic at heart, and Jane Eyre will always speak to me of the passionate pursuit of a life worth living.


p.s. I’m @csalley…oh yeah, and my husband is a real “manly man.” He just happens to like classics! http://reflectionsbycara.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE Jane Eyre!! One of my favorites. Thanks for the lovely post, Cara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Jane Eyre is my favourite following closely by Pride and Prejudice. Excellent review Cara. Cara, I tred to leave a comment on your lovely blog but it wouldn't let me???

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED, loved this book. Couldn't put it down! Mostly, I read biographies - but this one was fantastic.

    Great review Cara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a lovely review of one of my favorite classics of all time. I saw the movie once and decided on a whim almost to pick it up at my local library. It was beautiful, interesting, mysterious, engrossing, delightful. How could anyone not love the witty banter between Rochester and Jane Eyre? Or pray for something to intervene with her cousin's proposal of marriage? I loved this book. You have made me smile.

    Thank you, Cara!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....