Thursday, December 3, 2009

Hibernation is Over

Friday Flash Fiction

‘Would ya just get me out of here?’
It was dark and musty.
‘I’m so damn hot!’
The stifling summer heat had arrived.
‘All year long I hibernate,’ he said blinking his eyes. ‘But I’m awake now, I’m ready for my month in the lime light.’
Sweaty and smelly it seemed hotter this year than other years.
‘What’s that? Footsteps? Could it be? Hello! I’m here, yes it’s time come and get me.’
Seeping through the zip he could see flecks of daylight. Slowly sliding out, being dragged along the floor and then quickly unzipped and almost blinded by daylight.
‘Ah, that feels better.’ Squinting he said, ‘Now feet first thanks, go easy, go easy.’ The carpet soft and comfortable under his feet.
‘Longest limb first thanks, yes that one, and now another, spread me out a little first please.’ Stretching after hibernation seemed to feel better every year.
‘That’s it, that’s the last one, yes that’s the way, ahh. Now for some clothes, I’m feeling a little naked right now. Hang on lights first, now baubles, now the specials pieces and last, ah yes, that delightful star.’

And there he stood, in all his glory, ready for the presents to be placed underneath.

23 comments:

  1. Michelle, I love that this story is making me think. I get a very strong visual from it, some nice addition and dimension with the smells. I have a couple of thoughts on what I'm seeing emerging from hibernation, but can't quite tell what it/he is? (Unfortunately, my mind is incredibly dense sometimes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I thought it might be a little like that - so I've added another line. Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the added lines, this worked out to be a wonderful short! I needed that extra line to make me think Christmas.

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that's what our [fake] trees are thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when stories are all in dialogue - not easy to pull of but this is well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the difference between southern and northern hemisphere! My tree is shivering. Nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! Great personalization of a tree's thoughts! Especially a fake one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK all of you cold Christmas people - here where I live in Australia it's too hot to have a real tree - it dies before Christmas!
    Thank you for all you lush comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So this is what my tree says before I liberate it!

    Your story WAS fun and very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha! For us non-Antipodeans, it works well to throw one off the scent, with the mention of heat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was admittedly a bit worried about what was sliding out of that bag at first. :-) Very clever and cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big fun! The secret desires of the Christmas tree -- great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure whether my comment posted or not, but I enjoyed peeking into the first waking moments of O Tannenbaum. Nice job of capturing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought it was going to be a bear :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Hang on lights first..." I broke into a smile there. That's when the lights came on for me. Until then I was expecting some sort of butterfly or something. Quite enjoyable. Thanks for giving me a pleasant little surprise - sort of like a package under the tree.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how it fell into place at the end :-)

    Too cute! I like how you think :-)
    ~2

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought it was a Santa or Father Christmas stored away til needed, turning out to be a tree was just as good.

    BTW? Don't forget the train underneath!
    Karen :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My trees must hate me...out there in a stifling out outbuilding...fighting off the occasional inquisitive mouse...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you all for your comments! I'm really enjoying the Friday Flash community.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Huh, I didn't have a guess until the last couple of lines. The mention of all the heat is certainly a curve ball. Cool perspective. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Soooo THAT'S what it was! I kept trying to figure it out, like one of my son's riddles. Awesome. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was great, very good idea to bring a tree to life (especially a fake one) :P Interesting thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....