Wednesday, December 30, 2009

End of Homeschooling for 2009



It’s the end of another Home school year for our house hold. We’ve chosen to keep in line with the mainstream school year so it’s a six week break. We finished up early December and I’ve been looking at a pile of books that I didn’t quite get to that need to be checked and another pile of books that are finished and need to be filed.


That was this week’s task for me, mummy and teacher. While the kids have been playing with all their new Christmas presents I’ve been sorting through their books. This being our second year I’m still not sure which books I need to keep, filed away just in case and which books I can off load or throw away.

Boxing and sorting, reminiscing on the year that was, the highs and lows. When we started just over 2 years ago 1 boy could read, now I have 3 children who can read. That’s achievement, I’m very proud of them. My boy has advanced to multiplication though he struggles with new math concepts. We are enjoying the flexibility of home education along with many other advantages and look forward to starting with a new distance ed school in 2010.

But what do I do with all these books? Please tell me how much school work you keep, I know I need to keep samples because home education is not set in concrete in this house. If anything drastic changed, I would send them back to school tomorrow. But on the other hand I’m sure I keep way too much.

Hints, tips, seasoned homeschoolers – I’d love to hear from you.

9 comments:

  1. I keep a notebook for each class and also give a yearly achievement test for our records.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha... Sorry - I cannot give advice here... my mess goes first!!
    ;)s

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very impressed with your homeschooling, I don't think I could do it. You must be very organised etcetc. I find it difficult throwing the kids books etc away. I have them all but am going through them, picking all the good bits out that I think they would like to see when they grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No tips from me as I don't home school but LOTS of admiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I found your blog (via twitter!). We home-educate our 4 children, and have been for 6 years. I look forward to reading more about your adventures - I'll pop back later when I have more time :o)
    Julia
    http://classroomfree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with JanMary. I don't homeschool either. The thought of it kinda freaks me out! How on EARTH do you do it without going nutty?

    I admire you. And ALL those who homeschool. A very important job, and one I'm sure that is very rewarding, if not very challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I don't homeschool either! Not much help are we? LOL I also admire women who homeschool, not sure I have the patience for it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an encouraging post, you should be very proud of your achievement. I have considered home schooling for my autistic daughter but she is doing really well in mainstream, at present.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh homeschooling!?? It says in your intro you have the Lazy Gene. I do not think so hon! Homeschooling is the opposite of lazy... surely! Taryn xx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....