Monday, August 3, 2009

The Best of Times

by
Michelle D Evans



‘It was the best of times… no, really, the very best of times. I can’t help but think if only… No but we must look to the future now.’ Louise went to stand up.
‘Oh, Aunt Louise, if you don’t tell me about those times, how will I ever know anything about Mother?’ Sophie, nearing adulthood but innocently yearned to know more.
‘The best of times…’ she urged.
‘Yes, when your mother and I were in our early 20’s,’ Louise sighed.
‘What made it the best of times, Aunt Louise?’ Sophie asked.
‘Freedom! We were free and easy and loved it. We did what we wanted.’ Louise turned to Sophie and said in a low voice. ‘But maybe being so easy wasn’t the best.’
‘Tell me more, Aunt Louise,’ Sophie curled her knees in to her chest looking small and childlike.
‘You’re mum had just finished her degree, we were pumped for a big night. Sophie, you’re nearly 17, I’m going to tell you this so hopefully you will learn not only about your mum, but so you won’t make the same mistakes.
‘But you said it was the best of times,’ Sophie was a little lost.
‘Yes, well I suppose that’s how we used to think. Looking back, all the hangovers, memory loss, men – many men…’
‘Are you saying, that my mother… many men?’ Sophie blushed.
‘I’m afraid so, Soph, that’s why you’ve never met your father. I don’t believe your mum worked out which one it was, so she never told any of them about you,’ Louise paused for a moment, then rushed on. ‘It was just after your second birthday, your mum rang me and said “Louise lets got out like we used to.” She drank a lot before we went out.’
‘Is this the night she died, Aunt Louise?’ Sophie’s wet eyes looked down.
Louise searched for courage, her lip quivered.
‘I went to the bar to get more beers while your mum was on the dance floor. Stories about spiked drinks were all over the papers and it crossed my mind your mum had left her drink at the table while I carried mine to the dance floor. I searched for her on the dance floor but found her just off to the side, lying on the floor. It was too late. I looked to our table. Her drink was spiked. The bottle was empty.’

8 comments:

  1. Nice path you led me on...not knowing til the end where I'd end up. Welcome to the #fridayflash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad Aunt Louise couldn't give better news. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm losing it...I thought I left you a comment yesterday!

    I loved this piece! It's such a chilling, very real, cautionary tale...and heartrending for the daughter. Thank you for sharing.

    Welcome to #fridayflash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this piece. The title juxtaposes well with the ending. And the aunts telling of the tale is very believable. Glad to have you on #fridayflash

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, not at all what I expected. I fully expected her to die as a drunk driver. Great (and chilling) left turn there. The poor girl, but best to know the truth, I suppose. Welcome to #fridayflash. Hope to read more of your fiction in the weeks to come.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. Sharp edged, this. I was as engaged as Sophie, wanting to know about her mother - and as shocked at the suddenness of her end.

    Well done, so much in so little. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the positive feedback - I really appreciate you taking time to read and comment. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A belated #fridayflash welcome. Poor Sophie, what a thing to find out. Good use of dialogue to show character. Hope to see you again next Friday.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments....